Do you share a computer with your family or friends on a regular basis? Do you want to keep your bookmarks, themes, and settings separate from everyone else’s? You can add new users to Chrome to let everyone have their own personalized copies of Chrome on the same computer.
Add a new user
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select Settings.
- In the “Users” section, click Add new user.
- A confirmation dialog appears, choose a picture and enter a name for the new Chrome user. Note: When you add a new Chrome user a desktop shortcut is created by default. If you don’t want a desktop shortcut uncheck the “Add desktop shortcut” checkbox. (Creating a desktop shortcut for new users allows each Chrome user on your computer to quickly access their profile. Different profiles are easily differentiated on the desktop by the different names and pictures associated with each profile.)
- Click Create.
- A new window for the user appears, with a picture you’ve chosen for the user in the top corner. Here, you can sign in to Chrome with a Google Account to associate the account with the user. Once signed in, all the bookmarks, apps, extensions, theme, and browser settings for the user will be synced to the account. Learn more about signing in to ChromeIf you prefer, you can also choose to skip this step and not sign in. Settings for the user will be saved only on your computer instead.
Edit a user
If you have multiple users associated with Chrome, you can change the label and icon associated with a particular user. Note: These settings are not available if you only have one user associated with the browser. You can only edit the current user.
- Click the icon in the top corner of your window and select the user you want to edit.
- A window for the user you’ve selected will appear. In that window, click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- In the “Users” section, select the user you’d like to edit.
- Click Edit.
- In the “Edit user” dialog that appears, you can choose a new name and icon for your user. You can also choose to Add or Remove a desktop shortcut.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Delete a user
- Open the window of the user you want to delete. (Check the icon in the top corner to make sure you’re in the right user.)
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- In the “Users” section, select the user that you want to delete.
- Click Delete. Alternatively, you can click the X icon to the right of the user. Note: If there is only one user, you will see a Delete this user button instead.
- In the confirmation dialog that appears, click Delete.
Switch to another user
Click the icon on the top corner of the window or press Ctrl+Shift+M (Mac: ⌘-Shift-M) to select the user. No icon will appear if you only have one user associated with the browser.
Mac users: You can switch to another user by right-clicking the Chrome icon in the Dock and select a different user. Alternatively, you can click Users in the menu bar to switch to another user.
Chrome devices users: You can’t create multiple users using the above steps. Instead you’ll need to add accounts to the device.